Nigerian Rental ScamsSeptember 12, 2008 at 5:33 pm | Posted in Rental Scams, Tips to Avoid Scams | Leave a comment
FraudGuides posted a good post on how to detects nigerian rental scams.
Rental Scam Warning Signs
- You are contacted via email regarding a property.
- The request comes from outside the country.
- There is a sense of urgency.
- Third parties become involved.
- You will be over-payed
How to avoid Nigerian rental scams
- Do not let someone pay more than you asked for.
- Do a web search for the renter’s name to see what comes up.
- If the payment arrives in the form of a money order, inspect it carefully in case it’s a counterfeit. Despite your best attempts to determine its authenticity, it may still turn out to be a forgery.
- Do not let someone else use your name or Social Security number to buy a property, especially if they offer to pay you for using it.
- Don’t do anything until the money order or check clears the bank. You could be pressured to act sooner and you might even receive threats. Don’t give into anything. Nigerian scams depend on you sending money to someone before the money order clears the bank.