At RentalScams.org, we have been keeping track of the various rental scams within the United States. Rental scams continue to increase in volume year over year. Below is a Google graph of rental scam interest over time:
With that said, we wanted to see the cities that are hit with rental scams.
Below are the top 15 cities in the US for the most rental scams.
The Rental Scam (Local Scam):
- Scammer sees a for rent house on the street
- Scammer posts that information on Craigslist as if it was their home
- Scammer changes the locks on the house by breaking in
- Renter signs contract with scammer not knowing it is not his/her home
Avoiding these types of scams:
- Go to the rental companies office
- Check to see if rental company has a liscense
- Make sure landlords name is on the rental agreement
- Ask for references of past tenants
- Search on Google under their name, company name or any other type of information