Was on Craigslist Denver – Email address: email@example.com
Tags: homes for rent, rental scammers
The FBI has recently released an alert warning renters and property managers of rental scams for homes for rent searching and advertising. In the article they offer suggestions to avoid being victimized:
How to avoid being victimized:
- Only deal with landlords or renters who are local;
- Be suspicious if you’re asked to only use a wire transfer service;
- Beware of e-mail correspondence from the “landlord” that’s written in poor or broken English;
- Research the average rental rates in that area and be suspicious if the rate is significantly lower;
- Don’t give out personal information, like social security, bank account, or credit card numbers.
David A. Thomas, Special Agent in Charge of the Columbia office of the FBI, is requesting that individuals who have complaints should file an Internet crime complaint on www.ic3.gov with the Federal Bureau of Investigation.