The Sponsor Rental Scam

September 25, 2008 at 5:21 pm | Posted in Known Rental Scammers, Rental Scams | 17 Comments

We received a letter from a reader notifying us of a scammer who said the have a sponsor. This is how the scam works.

1. Scammer contacts home owner
  2. Scammer says they will be living in the states for 2 years and that a large company is sponsoring them
  3. Scammer send Fake Cashiers check for a large sum of money.
  4. Scammer asks if home owner can send the remaining money to their sponsor via a wire
  5. Fake cashiers check is not noticed as fake and the home owner wires remaing funds to scammer

The reader contacted this individual and below is the conversation.

Subject: Re: $1295 / 3br – Adorable Single Family Home (Williamstown) (map)
To: natal85_blige88@yahoo.co.uk
Date: Friday, 19 September, 2008, 2:42 PM

hI,
HOW ARE YOU. i WOULD BE HAPPY TO HAVE YOU RENT MY HOME. hOWEVER i WOULD NEED SOME CONFIRMATION FROM THE ELI LILLY COMPANY THAT THIS IS THE ARRANGEMENT. i WOULD NEED TO HAVE A NUMBER TO CONTACT THEM. IN THE NORMAL CONTRACT i REVEIW QUALIFICATIONS OF THE APPLICANT TO PAY BUT THAT WOULD BE QUITE DIFFERENT FOR YOU.
IF YOU COULD FURNISH ME A CONTACT THERE TO CONFIRM ALL OF THESE DETAILS I WOULD APPRECIATE IT. PLEASE RESPOND SOON AS I DO HAVE PEOPLE LOOKING AT THIS HOME.
————– Original message ————–
From: natal blige <natal85_blige88@yahoo.co.uk>

Good day,
I really appreciate your response and details provided, my sponsors (Eli Lilly Pharmaceuticals) have agreed on the monthly fees to be paid for the next two years on my behalf. Therefore, they agreed to pay up front the amount of ($3238 PAYMENT FOR THE FIRST MONTH RENT PLUS DEPOSIT STARTING FROM MY MOVING IN DATE WHICH WILL BE ON THE 4TH OF OCTOBER); also since I will be staying for two years, the company has agreed to pay in a monthly installation. Furthermore, I would like you to know a US Cashier che que will be issued to you in an excess amount by my sponsors for the first month rent, security deposit and my travelling expenses; the excess amount will be sent to me immediately as soon as you receive payment from my sponsors.
However, the information below is required from you by my sponsors to have payment sent to you immediately in order for you to hold down this property until I arrive;

NAME ON US CASHIER CHEQUE

FULL CONTACT ADDRESS

HOME PHONE NUMBER

MOBILE NUMBER

Finally, I would like to know how peaceful is the neighbourhood and how close is the property from the bus/train station as I will be leaving on the 3rd and arriving on the 4th of October. My main purpose of relocating is based on my research proposal on Pharmaceutical industries (Financial Analysis); and I was granted a part time sponsorship on my accommodation and travel expense. Also all necessary Paper work will be treated by me when I arrive and set to move into th e property.

I await the details soonest for payment, so I can start my moving in plans ASAP.

Regards

Natal Blige

— On Tue, 16/9/08, wrote:

Subject: Re: $1295 / 3br – Adorable Single Family Home (Williamstown) (map)
To: natal85_blige88@yahoo.co.uk
Date: Tuesday, 16 September, 2008, 3:03 PM

Hi,
the rent is 1295.00 per month and the deposit would be 1 1/2 month security.
is is a very cute house and nice neighborhood.
——- Original message ————–
From: natal blige <natal85_blige88@yahoo.co.uk>
Good day Sir/ Madam,
My name is Natal Blige; I am 24 years of age and a citizen of the United Kingdom and will be relocating for a short period of two years on a research programme to the United States . As I was reviewing rental adverts, I got particularly interested in your property, I would like you to email me pictures, and I would also like to know the exact fees to be paid monthly and the security deposit in order for me to pass information to my sponsors.
Thanks for your assistance.
Cheers6
About these ads

17 Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

1. I also received the same message from a Harry Button harry_button88@yahoo.co.uk weaht do i do with this> anything? I have never been involved in a SCAM!!

2. Here is one I just got, eerily similar to the above case:

Good day,
    I really appreciate your response and details provided, my sponsors (Eli Lilly Pharmaceuticals) have agreed on the monthly fees to be paid for the next two years on my behalf. Therefore, they agreed to pay up front the amount of ($750 PAYMENT FOR THE FIRST MONTH RENT PLUS $750 DEPOSIT STARTING FROM MY MOVING IN DATE WHICH WILL BE ON THE 28TH OF DECEMBER); also since I will be staying for two years, the company has agreed to pay in a monthly installation. Furthermore, I would like you to know a US Cashier cheque will be issued to you in an excess amount by my sponsors for the first month rent, security deposit and my travelling expenses. (Please see attached note) ; the excess amount will be sent to me immediately as soon as you receive payment from my sponsors.

NAME ON US CASHIER CHEQUE
    FULL CONTACT ADDRESS
    HOME PHONE NUMBER
    MOBILE NUMBER

Finally, I would like to know how peaceful is the neighbourhood and how close is the property from the bus/train station as I will be leaving on the 27th and arriving on the 28th of December. My main purpose of relocating is based on my research proposal on Pharmaceutical industries (Financial Analysis); and I was granted a part time sponsorship on my accommodation and travel expense. Also all necessary Paper work will be treated by me when I arrive and set to move into the property.
    Regards
    Kevin Taylor
    ________________________________________

3. I received almost this exact email correspondence signed by a Kevin Taylor on December 23, 2008. The email address of the sender was kevin85_taylor88@live.com

I was also sent an attachment with a photo and what appeared to be a doctored sponsor letter on questionable letterhead that was not dated. However, I actually called from US to UK to speak to ELI Lilly and the person on the ‘sponsor’ letter is not in their database and the Eli Lilly address is for a Dextra Court, which is no longer occupied by Eli Lilly.

It would be nice to know how to stop this scam.

4. Exact same issue happened to me!! I also got an email correspondence signed by a Kevin Taylor on Jan 16 2008. The email address was kevin85_taylor88@yahoo.co.uk.

I was given an attachment of a photo and a letter of sponsorship from Eli Lilly. Everything is false!!

HERE IS WHAT THIS PERSON WROTE ON EMAIL:

This is the information for the transfer of the funds
    1)Name…MR KEVIN TAYLOR…………………$2900
    TRANSFER CHARGES……………………………$135
    Address…24 WATERSIDE CLOSE
    SOUTHEAST LONDON
    SE28 5TK
    LONDON
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Please,as soon as you get the transfer done , Please, give me call or email me with the following transfer information ,
    MTCN TRANSFER NUMBER
    SENDER’S FULL NAME & ADDRESS
    AMOUNT SENT AFTER TRANSFER CHARGES IN DOLLARS AND POUNDS
    Please if you do have any question you can call me directly on 011447961965327.
    cheers

PLEASE BEAWARE THAT THERE ARE ALOT OF SCAMS LIKE THIS FOR RENTERS ESPECIALLY!!!

5. I was just about to fall for this scam–Mar 2009. Thanks to this rental scam website I saw the exact same email and person.

I have friends at Eli Lilly and the FBI who I have alerted to this guy–if in fact it is a guy. Hopefully he will get caught.

Thanks again!!

6. I got this too !
    Wow, this guy moves around a lot. Not a very good tenant now is he ? I wrote him back and told him that the Amtrak has not got a very good reputation and for his safety I could not rent to him. Such a pity, his grammar is excellent.

One good thing he has going for him is the little hottie in the pic he sent me with the sponsorship letter. One thing he forgot, I didnt rowe the boat over from Ireland.

Good day,

I really appreciate your response and details provided, my sponsors (Eli Lilly Pharmaceuticals) have agreed on the monthly fees to be paid for the next two years on my behalf. Therefore, they agreed to pay up front the amount of ($850 PAYMENT FOR THE FIRST MONTH RENT PLUS DEPOSIT STARTING FROM MY MOVING IN DATE WHICH WILL BE ON THE 12TH OF APRIL); also since I will be staying for two years, the company has agreed to pay in a monthly installation. Furthermore, I would like you to know a US Cashier cheque will be issued to you in an excess amount by my sponsors for the first month rent, security deposit and my travelling expenses. (Please see attached note) ; the excess amount will be sent to me immediately as soon as you receive payment from my sponsors.

NAME ON US CASHIER CHEQUE

FULL CONTACT ADDRESS

HOME PHONE NUMBER

MOBILE NUMBER

Finally, I would like to know how peaceful is the neighbourhood and how close is the property from the bus/train station as I will be leaving on the 11th and arriving on the 12th of April. My main purpose of relocating is based on my research proposal on Pharmaceutical industries (Financial Analysis); and I was granted a part time sponsorship on my accommodation and travel expense. Also all necessary Paper work will be treated by me when I arrive and set to move into the property.

Regards

Kevin Taylor

• It is unbelievable. We just about fell for this and found out it was a scam. We received the check and deposited it. Thank god we saw this before transfering the money. Our bank is taking care of it, so we are not out of any money. As everyone else has said, he was polite and everything. He preys on people who rent and we have been trying to rent our place for such a long time that I guess we didn’t realize it was too good to be true. Let’s hope that he and all the other scammers get caught!

7. I recieved the rental scam email from kevin85_taylor88@yahoo.co.uk dated April 2009 as well

8. I also just received an email from Kevin Taylor wit almost identical content.

This is pretty ridiculous… Couldn’t anyone find out who is sending this?

9. bright lewis

Hello gooday, My name is Bright lawrence. I am citizen of the United Kingdom , I will be relocating for a short period of two years on a research programme to the United States . As I was reviewing rental adverts, I got particularly interested in your property, I would like you to email me pictures, and I would also like to know the exact fees to be paid monthly and the security deposit in order for me to pass information to my sponsors. Thanks for your assistance
    Bright Lawrence
    I received this, do these people sleep at night?

10. OMG i got this same exact email just today!

Good day Sir/ Madam,
    My name is Kevin Taylor; I am 24 years of age and a citizen of the United Kingdom and will be relocating for a short period of two years on a research programme to the United States . As I was reviewing rental adverts, I got particularly interested in your property, I would like you to email me pictures, and I would also like to know the exact fees to be paid monthly and the security deposit in order for me to pass information to my sponsors.
    Thanks for your assistance.
    Cheers

I think if you continue to get these you should notify your local FBI branch and fast!!!!

11. I also received the same scam from a Harry Button. It is identical to what some of the others reported. Below is what he wrote….

Good day,
    I really appreciate your response and details provided, my sponsors (Eli Lilly Pharmaceuticals) have agreed on the monthly fees to be paid for the next two years on my behalf. Therefore, they agreed to pay up front the amount of ($1990 PAYMENT FOR THE FIRST MONTH RENT PLUS $1500 DEPOSIT STARTING FROM MY MOVING IN DATE WHICH WILL BE ON THE 24TH OF MARCH); also since I will be staying for two years, the company has agreed to pay in a monthly installation. Furthermore, I would like you to know a US Cashier cheque will be issued to you in an excess amount by my sponsors for the first month rent, security deposit and my travelling expenses. (Please see attached note) ; the excess amount will be sent to me immediately as soon as you receive payment from my sponsors.

NAME ON US CASHIER CHEQUE
    FULL CONTACT ADDRESS
    HOME PHONE NUMBER
    MOBILE NUMBER

Finally, I would like to know how peaceful is the neighbourhood and how close is the property from the bus/train station as I will be leaving on the 23rd and arriving on the 24th of March. My main purpose of relocating is based on my research proposal on Pharmaceutical industries (Financial Analysis); and I was granted a part time sponsorship on my accommodation and travel expense. Also all necessary Paper work will be treated by me when I arrive and set to move into the property.
    Regards
    Harry Button

12. January 2012 Harry Button is still around..I had 2 responses. Also, beware of Kaylen and Lionel , also from the U.K…I knew it was too good to be true!!

13. John Yearwood Feb 9
    Good day Sir/ Madam, My name is John Yearwood; I am 24 years of age and a cit…

to John
    Aloha John

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I was away from my computer a for few days. The Studio unit would cost per month $1,998.00 US includes tax and the 3 bedroom would cost per month $2,798.00 US includes tax. They are both available after April 10, 2012 at this point for.
    I will send you some photos, but what unit are you interested in fist. Hope it not to late to negotiate. The Security damage deposit is equal to 1 months rent.

J

John Yearwood john_yearwood8885@yahoo.co.uk
    Feb 15 (12 days ago)

to me
    Good day,
    I really appreciate your response and details provided, my sponsors (Eli Lilly Pharmaceuticals) have agreed on the monthly fees to be paid for the next (24 months) on my behalf. They agreed to pay up front the amount of ($1998 PAYMENT FOR THE FIRST MONTH RENT PLUS $1998 SECURITY DEPOSIT STARTING FROM MY MOVING IN DATE WHICH WILL BE ON THE 29TH OF FEBRUARY); also since I will be staying for two years, the company has agreed to pay in a monthly installation. Furthermore, I would like you to know a US Cashier cheque will be issued to you in an excess amount by my sponsors for the first month rent, security deposit and my travelling expenses. (Please see attached note).

NAME ON US CASHIER CHEQUE
    FULL CONTACT ADDRESS
    HOME PHONE NUMBER
    MOBILE NUMBER

Finally, I would like to know how peaceful is the neighbourhood and how close is the property from the bus/train station as I will be leaving on the 28th and arriving on the 29th of February. My main purpose of relocating is based on my research proposal on Pharmaceutical industries (Financial Analysis) and I was granted a part time sponsorship on my accommodation and travel expense. Also all necessary Paper work will be treated by me when I arrive and set to move into the property.
    Regards

2 attachments — Download all attachments View all images
    Letter_of_Sponsorship_for_Mr_John_Yearwood.jpg
    1250K View Download
    John Yearwood.jpg
    265K View Download

to John
    Aloha John

Thank you for your interest in our studio, As stated in previous email the unit is not available till April 10, 2012. The unit is about 3 mile away from the bus stop. The unit in a 3 unit building and is in a peaceful rural setting.

Would the lease be with Eli Lilly Pharmaceuticals?

John Yearwood john_yearwood8885@yahoo.co.uk
    Feb 24 (4 days ago)

to me
    Good Morning,
    Thanks for the note; the 10th of April will still be visible for me to move into the property as i will stay in an hotel for some couple of days and with friends. Please I will need you to forward me the details for payment in order for my sponsor to make financial arrangement as soon as possible and for the property to be approved.
    cheers
    John

From: JC
    To: John Yearwood
    Sent: Thursday, 16 February 2012, 14:55

Subject: Re: Apartment / Housing Rental Needed (As soon as possible)‏‏‏‏‏

Aloha John

Feb 26 (1 day ago)

to John
    Hi John

Okay, Here is what we need if you want to rent our property, 1) Name of company and 2) contact person of who will be responsible for payment and 3) address, email and phone # of who will be responsible for payment. They will have to sign the lease. Then we will prepare a lease contract for signing and email it to them. The lease will give our details for payment.

Also a previous rental reference from you, 1) name, 2) address and 3) phone # 4) email.

Once we receive this info, and verify it we will then prepare a lease and email it to appropriate persons.

Best regards,
    JC

John Yearwood john_yearwood8885@yahoo.co.uk
    3:53 AM (6 hours ago)

to me
    Eli Lilly Pharmaceuticals
    c/o Mr James Lee
    Dextra Court,
    Chapel Hill
    Hampshire
    RG21 5SY
    011447529498735
    Please can you email me the details for payment as the month is drawing to an end, as i will need to weigh my options.
    cheers
    John

14. I received a similar e-mail from Robin Wells regarding her daughter Helen! Watch out for her!

15. Recently almost got scammed after trying to rent a house. They were pretending to be “carol brooks” and was a yahoo email. They stated they were from the UK and took the keys with them. Wanted us to pay $600 deposit before sending keys to look at house. Also wanted it sent through western union or money gram. Same scam that was clearly written on here. The ad was listed in Rochester, New york. Please beware of abrooksc@yahoo.com (carol brooks is the fake name being used. Oh they also told us to get a phone card and call either of the 2 UK numbers they gave to us. 1 was a home # and one was a mobile. So now these scammers are using numbers and talking to people on the phone. So sad

16. we also got an almost identical email from a Mr, Ronald Blue, also stating he was with the eli lilly company and also mentioned the dextra court address. Glad we found this discussion before it was too late.