The Money Order Rental ScamSeptember 13, 2008 at 3:26 pm | Posted in Rental Scams | 5 Comments
Scammers will try to make the victim feel as comfortable as possible. Here is one way they do it.
- Scammer posts rental ad on a large free classifieds site and makes rental price extremely low
- The victim finds the ad and wants to rent the property
- Communication between the scammer and victim begins
- Scammer tells victim he is out of the country on business
- To ensure the victim has funds. the scammer asks the victim to wire money ($2,000) to any of the victims friends. This is suppose to make the victim feel better because they are wiring it to their own friend
- The scammer asks to see the receipt that funds have been transfered to the victims friend through MoneyGram
- With Money orders, the recipient can pick up the funds anywhere in the world. With the information on the receipt, the scammer picks up the money.